Saturday, April 19, 2008

Scavenger Hunt to the BYU Ball

Last weekend, the Norton's were hanging out at our house when there was a "ding dong" at the door. I opened it to find Lukas standing there holding a handwritten note. A bit confused, I opened and read the note. It said that Emily and I were to go out on a scavenger hunt and Scott and Pat were going to tend the kids while we were gone. Come to think of it, Pat was acting a bit strange and our plans for the night kept changing, so it makes sense that the Real Estate Training that Pat and Scott were supposedly "at" took much longer than the promised hour!!! Pleasantly surprised, Emily and I got our things and headed out the door. Only we didn't get too far because our first clue was confusing and right in our backyard. Each clue took us somewhere fun and interesting. (The bathroom, the gas station, the grocery store, Hollywood Video, Wendy's, our mail box, our email, Supercuts...)

Those boys really put a lot of thought into it. Emily and I had so much fun just being together without our kids and searching for clues. We found them all and took our sweet time so we could enjoy the moment. Our very last clue was a puzzle that we had to put together and the end result was a "Will you go with us to the BYU ball?"
I, at first, thought it was another kind of ball that had to do with sports (foot ball or basket ball) but it turns out BYU has an alumni ball in the new Gordon B. Hinckley Visitor's Center. I felt so giddy and excited that I wanted to go get my nails and hair done, go shopping for a new dress and find the perfect shoes and jewelry. And I only had one day b/c the ball was the next night! Not so much advance notice, but it didn't matter, because every bit of it was awesome!! I did find a cute dress on sale and it was fun getting ready. Emily and I wanted to answer in a creative way, but since we only had less than 24 hours, it had to be quick and unexpected...
My parents drove up (an hour) to babysit the kids for that night (THANK YOU!!!) and the Norton's got a neighbor to watch Logan. Our dates took us to P.F. Changs in Orem and then we went to our "ball". It was super classy with a live band, dancing, and just mingling with other alumni. We got our pictures taken in the library and the visitor's center is just beautiful! It was a wonderful date and I give Pat two thumbs up for all the planning and effort that went into it! It was something I will never forget! We love the Norton's and who better to spend a great night with! We had so much fun. Now Emily and I need to plan something fun for the boys...any ideas?!

8 comments:

Shay said...

What great husbands. You should be so proud! It's so great to see the romancing and dating is still alive after 2 kids. I'm going to have to put a bug in my husband's ear...{hint...hint}

Natalie said...

How creative and fun!

Natalie said...

and I forgot to add that I love your dress.

Tyler and Julia said...

How SWEET! I was just gushing over this as I read about the sweet things that Pat did for you! I'll bet there was nothing like dancing with your man and dressing up. One-on-one time with our husbands is SO important. Will you tell Pat to call up Tyler & give him some tips on how to date wives?

Mindy said...

That's so awesome! I thought the creative dating ended when you say "I do..." Kudos to Pat and Scott for making it not so. And you look stunning at the ball!

Patty R said...

How fun! What sweet husbands you have :)

Alison said...

That is sooooo sweet!!! 2 thumbs up to your sweet hubby for sure!! That is so cute and creative and I am so impressed! You definitely caught a good one!! ;o)

Jyl said...

You look beautiful! How fun is that! Takes me back to the fun dates in high school and even better with the love of your life right>??? you two are soo cute!